What do Cooks, Fast Food do?
Prepare and cook food in a fast food restaurant with a limited menu. Duties of these cooks are limited to preparation of a few basic items and normally involve operating large-volume single-purpose cooking equipment.
- Maintain sanitation, health, and safety standards in work areas.
- Clean food preparation areas, cooking surfaces, and utensils.
- Verify that prepared food meets requirements for quality and quantity.
- Cook and package batches of food, such as hamburgers and fried chicken, which are prepared to order or kept warm until sold.
- Prepare specialty foods such as pizzas, fish and chips, sandwiches, and tacos, following specific methods that usually require short preparation time.
- Operate large-volume cooking equipment such as grills, deep-fat fryers, or griddles.
- Read food order slips or receive verbal instructions as to food required by patron, and prepare and cook food according to instructions.
- Measure ingredients required for specific food items being prepared.
- Take food and drink orders and receive payment from customers.
- Clean, stock, and restock workstations and display cases.
- Cook the exact number of items ordered by each customer, working on several different orders simultaneously.
- Wash, cut, and prepare foods designated for cooking.
- Serve orders to customers at windows, counters, or tables.
- Prepare and serve beverages such as coffee and fountain drinks.
- Pre-cook items such as bacon, to prepare them for later use.
- Mix ingredients such as pancake or waffle batters.
- Schedule activities and equipment use with managers, using information about daily menus to help coordinate cooking times.
- Prepare dough, following recipe.
- Order and take delivery of supplies.
Related Jobs (Cooks, Fast Food)